Friday, July 31, 2009

Is it possible to set up a current primary drive (with Windows XP on it), as a secondary?

I want to replace my current primary drive (C:) with a new hard drive. I don't want to format drive C: until I have installed and set up the new hard drive. (Partly so I can look at current drive C and make sure I'm putting all the correct programs back on, as well as copying over old files to the new computer). Can I just change the jumpers on current drive C to make it a slave to the new hard drive? Will that work with Windows XP still installed on it and everything set up with C: "paths"? Is it possible to do a disk copy from current C to new C if new C is set up as a secondary? Just trying to figure out how I can do this without erasing the current C.





Thanks so much!!

Is it possible to set up a current primary drive (with Windows XP on it), as a secondary?
You can use Norton Ghost to retain your current (C:) drive. Either place both hard disks in the computer and use a (Partition to Partition) copy in Ghost, or (Partition to Image), then restore the image to your new drive.





Have fun and Good Luck !
Reply:Hi. The boot sequence is set in BIOS. Make sure you have the jumpers on the back set to "MA" and "SL" first.


No comments:

Post a Comment